Position Title: Student Services Administrator
Employer: Laurentian Students’ Union (LSU)
Position: Part-time (30 hrs per week)
The Laurentian Students’ Union is a student run organization existing independently from both Laurentian University and the Georgian College administrations. Its role is to act as the voice of the Laurentian student body, representing the interests of its members to all levels of government and university and college administration. We are seeking a dedicated and highly motivated individual to act as the Student Services Administrator. The Student Services Administrator will be responsible for administering the student insurance plan as well as attending to day to day secretarial business during regular office hours.
In addition to overseeing the student insurance plan, the Student Services Administrator, in general, will be responsible for helping promote and implement the policies and directives of the Students Union executive.
- College diploma or University degree or commensurate experience.
- Experience handling large sums of money.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Able to supervise, support, and motivate student volunteers.
- Familiarity with working within a post-secondary students’ union, or similar not-for-profit organization an asset.
- Familiarity and experience in the student movement considered an asset.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and time-management skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to problem solve and work well under pressure.
- Dedication, commitment and a willingness to work overtime and flexible hours.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Recognizing that the Student Services Administrator’s functions embrace a broad range of roles and responsibilities, it is important to note that not all functions are contained within this position description, and the position itself will be ever-changing and adaptive. Nevertheless, specific roles and responsibilities allocated to this position include, but are not limited to the following:
Health & Dental Responsibilities:
- Act as the Health & Dental Plan Coordinator responsible for dealing with questions and concerns from students and others regarding the Health & Dental Plan.
- Liaise with the Health Insurance Broker to promote and implement the plan.
- Responsible for the long-term well-being of the student Health & Dental Plan including the research, recommendation and implementation of any changes associated with the maintenance of the plan.
- Coordinate all opt-out operations, including cheque distribution and multi-tiered mail-outs.
- Negotiate an annual premium that students pay as part of their tuition.
- Consult with students, student organizations and campus administrators to address plan membership needs.
- Maintain supplies of brochures and educational materials and organize distribution to the members of LSU.
- Provide in a welcoming and professional manner, general help to all students, staff, and public who come into the office.
- Assist in training and supervising all office and voluntary staff.
- Answer the telephone, take messages, and reply to general inquiry emails.
- Act as primary point of contact for all shipping/receiving, mail, and courier responsibilities.
- Manage and maintain front desk Point of Sale systems, cash handling systems, petty cash handling, and all other relevant goods and systems necessary for services delivery and customer service.
- Provide feedback and active participation in short- and long-term planning for services, student needs, revenue generation, and any other development opportunities for services.
- Keeping the office and reception area clean; management of office and reception area including insurance of cleanliness
- Assist in implementing the directives of the LSU executive
Hours of Operation:
- A typical work week will include standard business hours but may include occasional evenings and weekends. The employee shall work in the LSU office between the hours as agreed with the LSU executive Monday to Friday.
- The Student Services Administrator will report directly to the President and indirectly to the Vice-President Administration and Laurentian Students’ Union executive.
- The employee shall not, during the continuance of his/her employment here under, or at any time thereafter, use other than for the benefit of the LSU, or as required by law, disclose or make accessible to any other person, association or corporation any of their confidential information or methods of doing business of the corporation or its associated activities or their customers or their business associates. This restriction shall cease to apply to information or knowledge which may legitimately come into the public domain.
PLEASE NOTE: LSU is an independently incorporated organization working within Georgian College and Laurentian University. This position is not a Laurentian University of Georgian College staff position.
Interested candidates should send their résumé and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on August 15th, 2012. All applications should be received via e-mail or dropped off in a sealed envelope at the LSU Office (E112A) addressed to the Vice-President of Administration.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vice-President of Administration
Member local 111 of the Canadian Federation of Students